Please note: Session recordings are no longer available, however PowerPoints and handouts may still be downloaded.
For full access to archived session recordings, please visit the “How to be an Entrepreneur as a Journalist” self-guided training page.
Check out the “Sales Strategies for Freelance Business Journalists” self-guided training page for more in-depth freelancer tips.
The free, weeklong “How to be an Entrepreneur as a Business Journalist” online seminar was originally held Aug. 9-13. This Webinar covers legal and accounting issues, logistical resources, real-world tips and branding techniques.
“How to be an Entrepreneur as a Business Journalist” shows journalists how to use their skills outside mainstream media, set up a business and market themselves through the strategic art of branding.
This Webinar was led by Maya Payne Smart, freelance writer and publisher of WritingCoach.com, and Joe Grimm, visiting journalist at Michigan State University’s School of Journalism and creator of “Ask the Recruiter.”
- Day One: Figuring Out the Nuts and Bolts – Maya Smart explains the legal and accounting aspects of setting up a journalism-based business, including how to structure and incorporate your business; what to watch for in contracts, including the issue of electronic rights; getting health, libel, and disability insurance; and figuring out what equipment and software you need.
- Day Two: Maintaining Your Social and Mental Health – Maya Smart offers tips on relationship building, dealing with isolation (home office or not?) and rejection, as well as handling ethical concerns. Are there worthwhile organizations to join?
- Day Three: Marketing Yourself – Maya Smart tells you how to find clients who will pay you well and on time and discusses whether you should specialize in a niche to make yourself more efficient. What topics are selling well now, and does multimedia reporting pay?
- Day Four: Branding Yourself – Joe Grimm teaches you how to define your brand as a journalist, including what you need to do to establish yourself as an expert and how to promote your brand via social media and other means.
- Day Five: Panel of Successful Journalist Entrepreneurs – Joe Grimm hosts a live chat with five successful business journalists turned entrepreneurs. Listen as these entrepreneurial journalists tell their stories to Joe Grimm.
Take a look through the recordings, resources and tools below. At your own pace, you can walk through the self-guided lesson on how to become an entrepreneur as a business journalist. This 5-hour Webinar was given August 2010. You can review those recordings also for another self-guided training on being an entrepreneur.