Google spreadsheets are powerful tools for business journalists. They combine the strengths of traditional spreadsheet software, such as Excel, with the ability to:
- import data from Excel or input your own data and then share it with others.
- access the spreadsheet from anywhere you have Internet service, including your smartphone.
- create charts or tables that can be embedded in Web pages.
- insert formulas for data on stocks, allowing online spreadsheets and charts to update automatically with the most current information.
What You Will Learn
Through a series of short videos and quizzes, you will learn how to use Google spreadsheets to:
- import and edit data.
- style, analyze and chart data.
- create a “magic” spreadsheet that will automatically update with current market data.
- share, publish and embed data and charts online.
The tutorial will take 25 minutes to complete.
Jeremy Caplan is director of education at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism at the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism. He is also a Ford Fellow in Entrepreneurial Journalism at the Poynter Institute.
To access the tutorial, you will need Adobe Flash, which you can download for free. You will also need a computer with Internet access and speakers to hear the audio.
Once clicked, the tutorial will play automatically. You can pause the tutorial at any time by clicking the pause button. To restart, click the pause button again. Click on buttons with arrows to advance or backtrack through the slides, or use the list of slides on the side to skip around in the tutorial.
Click the link below to download the tutorial, which you will view using Adobe Flash (download it). It will play automatically. You can pause the tutorial at any time by clicking the pause button. To restart, click the pause button again. Click on the buttons with arrows to advance or backtrack through the slides, or use the list of slides on the side to skip around in the tutorial.
What else would you like to learn?
We welcome your feedback on this tutorial and on which other subjects you’d like us to develop tutorials. Please e-mail Linda Austin, executive director of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism, or call 602-496-9187. This free tutorial — and free workshops and Webinars — offered by the Reynolds Center are made possible by a grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. The center also provides daily tips on how to cover business better on its website, BusinessJournalism.org.