Quick-Hit Business Investigations — Concept to Execution: Online, Dec. 6

The Particulars

Date and Time: Dec. 6 at Noon or 4 p.m. EST

Location: Online

Instructor: Matt Apuzzo, investigative reporter in
The Associated Press’ Washington bureau

Registration is now closed.

Did you miss our live sessions?

Check out archived recordings and materials at the self-guided training page.

“I have a rule on analysts. Don’t use analysts for their analysis.”

“If I’m not meeting two new people a week, I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“I’m a big believer in tricking my editor into believing it was his idea.”

Those quotations are examples of the wit and wisdom of Matt Apuzzo, investigative reporter in the Washington bureau of The Associated Press. During a free Webinar on Dec. 6, he will offer more ideas on how to conceive and execute quick-hit business investigations.

Few news organizations have time these days for months-long projects. Apuzzo provides practical advice on how to pull off investigations that might take one to two weeks.

The hourlong Webinar will be offered live at either noon or 4 p.m. EST on Dec. 6. PLEASE NOTE: This free training session is for professional and student journalists only. Please contact Linda Austin at Linda.Austin@businessjournalism.org if you have any questions or need clarification.

Matt Apuzzo, investigative reporter at the Washington bureau of The Associated Press

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN

• How to frame an investigation as a question.
  • Where to look for public documents.
  • How to cast a wide net for people to talk to.
  • How to get them to talk to you.

YOUR INSTRUCTOR

Matt Apuzzo is an investigative reporter in The Associated Press’ Washington bureau. He was previously The AP’s legal affairs writer in Washington, where he covered the FBI investigations of Blackwater Worldwide, Ted Stevens and Scooter Libby. He spent three years with The AP in Connecticut, where he investigated corruption in state government.

FIRST-TIME ATTENDEES

Check out our Technology Help Page for connectivity requirements, helpful tips and an instructional video on how to access Reynolds Center Webinars.

ABOUT THE PROGRAM

This free Webinar is sponsored by the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University.

The Reynolds Center is funded by a grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation in Las Vegas. Besides its free regional workshops and online training, the center runs BusinessJournalism.org, offering daily tips, training and resources for those who want to do a better job of covering business.

Those who successfully complete three regional workshops or Webinars presented by the Reynolds Center are eligible to receive a “Circle of Achievement” award certificate. If you have any questions about the Webinar or the center, please email Executive Director Linda Austin or call 602-496-9187.

In Calendar: Workshops, Webinars, Investigation, Training.

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. rcysodeb says:

Looking forward to it.

2. Good. As described, it will be a very fantastic and interesting program. I would be happy to take part in it.

3. goodluck says:

am so interested with it.pleas accept my request.it will help me to increase my knowledge in business matters.expect my cooperation.

4. JJournalist says:

I will love to be added to your mailing lists to receive updates on the coming workshops and others. Thank you.

5. Linda Austin says:

Hi, JJournalist. To be added to our mailing list, please provide your email address here:

Thanks for your interest!

6. ikewigos says:

I will be interested to participate and take part in the programme.please add me and send me more details about the programme

7. Linda Austin says:

Hi, Ikewigos. You can sign up for the Webinar by clicking on the link above that says, "Register for this free Webinar." Thanks for your interest.

8. SImeon Ogo says:

I just stumbled into this site. Its contents are supper. As a journalist from a third world country (Nigeria) I believe that it will serve as a good training ground for me. Keep up the good work.

Simeon Ogoegbulem
    BusinessWorld
    Abuja-Nigeria

9. SImeon Ogo says:

Stay blessed and keep up the good work

10. Bonjour: je suis francophone, mais fait dans la communication rural et sollicite beaucoup partager avec les autres pour ne pas dire formation. je pense que mes cours seront en franu00e7ais
    merci

11. Claude: Merci de penser à nous. Je comprends que vous êtes dans la France rurale. J’espère que notre formation aide. Nous ne publier en anglais. Votre message me fait penser à explorer le code traducteur de Google nous aurions besoin pour vous permettre de lire le site en français. En attendant, vous pouvez traduire des parties de notre formation à Google Translate. http://translate.google.com/

12. I really would love to participate, i am a passionate business writer in Africa. I would love to hear more about the programme.

13. Linda Austin says:

Peter: Thanks for your interest. The first part of the program will help any journalist because it deals with coming up with good ideas and sources for investigations. The latter portion, which deals with accessing documents that are public records in the United States, might be less helpful to those in other countries, where the laws are different.

14. Aliyuwunti says:

Hi Linda,I am a trainee of BBCWST "MESSAGE Project,I came across this oppotunity on their website,I wish to indicate my interest as a learner in the journalism profession,
    Thanks for being there.