The free workshop, “How to Launch You.com – Build Your Personal Website,” was originally held April 8 in Dallas.
Hosted by the Society of Business Editors and Writers and Southern Methodist University, the workshop offers practical tips for showcasing your work, marketing yourself and promoting your brand.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to create a personal website using WordPress, including the use of the dashboard, themes, plug-ins and widgets
- What other software exists to create a personal website
- What are best practices in creating a personal website
Jeremy Caplan is the director of education for the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism at City University of New York Graduate School of Journalism. He is also a Ford Fellow in Entrepreneurial Journalism at the Poynter Institute. In addition to contributing to Time Magazine on subjects ranging from business innovation to consumer technology, he writes for The Wall Street Journal’s Digits.
Take a look through the workshop session recordings and resources below. At your own pace, you can walk through the self-guided lesson on the key elements of personal branding, website development, blogging and social development.
Jeremy Caplan was also a Wiegers Fellow at Columbia Business School, where he completed his MBA, and a Knight-Bagehot Fellow at the Columbia Journalism School, where he earned an M.S. in Journalism.
- Five Tips for Building Your Site (PDF)
- Nine Ways to Build a Site (PDF)
- How to Launch You.com (PDF)
- WordPress in a Day – Tutorial (PDF)