The go-to source in sports business coverage is the Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal. There is also a print edition, which I highly recommend subscribing to.
Other sources are:
- Forbes.com, which annually ranks the value of professional sports teams and estimates revenues and expenses.
- The sports section of USAtoday.com, which gathers all the salary information of professional athletes.
Cot’s Baseball Contracts, (aka MLBcontracts.blogspot.com), has all the information for contracts with all major league baseball players. This site is even used by owners who want to see the contracts of players they may acquire.
- Sportsbusinessdigest.com, which covers the sports industry.
- CNBC: Darren Rovell, web page for CNBC’s Darren Rovell, one of the top sports business reporters in the country.
- Rod’s Sports Economics is a website by Rodney Fort, a former professor and one of the premiere sports business analysts in the country. He can be reached at (509) 595-0016 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Others who can provide insight on sports business are:
- Paul Swangard, managing director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon. His office number is 541-346-3262.
- Dennis Howard, the Philip H. Knight Professor of Business at the University of Oregon. He specializes in stadium economics and signage deals. He can be reached at 541-346-3352 or email@example.com.
- Dean Bonham, the chief executive officer of Bonham & Associates. He has 25 years of experience in sports marketing. He was based in Denver, but is now in Europe. The best way to reach him is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David M. Carter, executive director of the University of Southern California’s Sports Business Institute and professor of sports business at USC’s Marshall School of Business. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Randy Vataha, is founder of Game Plan LLC. He’s a sports investment banker and former pro football player. He can be reached at 617-267-1000.
- Marc Ganis is president and founder of SportsCorp, a Chicago-based sports business consulting firm. He can be reached at 312-649-9200.