Login | Help

1

Don’t be shocked by lies – expect them

Logo for Phillip Blanchard blog postsFrom Memphis, Tenn., comes the shocking news that PR people lie. Imagine that!

Jim Romenesko reported this month that The Commercial Appeal was suckered by the spokeswoman for a supermarket chain. She said flatly that Schnuck Markets Inc. had no plan to sell its stores in Memphis. The paper was burned when Schnucks announced soon after that the stores were being sold to the Kroger Co. The story on the sale, incredibly, did not mention the spokeswoman’s denial eight days earlier.

liar, liar, pants on fire

Flickr user Brad Gillette illustrates the saying, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

A few days later, a Commercial Appeal story cast the deception as an ethical breach by the Schucks spokeswoman. “I gave them the best information I had at the time,” the story quoted her as saying. She might have been telling the truth. PR people are often the last to know.

“I felt like our brand – our newspaper – was damaged,” business editor Roland Klose told Romenesko, using marketing jargon.

Depending on PR people for facts is dangerous.  Police reporters know better (or at least once did) than to merely write down what the public information officers say. They have to talk to the real cops. If you’re covering a small-town government, you know to talk to the highway superintendent if you want the real story. Business reporters need to rely on sources in company executive suites, rather than spokespeople.

The estimable Craig Silverman, writing for the Columbia Journalism Review,  rather likes the idea of holding the spokeswoman responsible for deceiving The Commercial Appeal. But the story that did so comes across as whining: We only reported what we were told! It reads like ass-covering, and that’s what it is.

The place to point out the lie was in the story about the sale.

Media across the spectrum are reluctant to call anyone a liar. That’s why we use weasel words such as “misleading,” or “less than candid.” I once came across “incongruous with the facts.” There is a way to avoid that in some cases.

T-shirt Flickr user kevinspencer

This T-shirt was photographed by Flickr user kevinspencer.

In the Schnucks case,  the newspaper went to the spokeswoman because of rumors that the Memphis stores were on the market. The denial should have been the starting point for further reporting, because anyone who follows business knows that statements like the spokeswoman’s are almost always lies. Don’t blame her; that’s her job. But we don’t have to publish such statements just because someone makes them. If you don’t want to do the work, don’t write about rumors.

By the time such stories reach the copy desk, it’s usually too late to stop them. I have pointed out too many times to reporters and assigning editors that a denial like that can’t be trusted, and they agreed! They believed that they were relaying lies and, because they came from the mouths of authorized company spokespeople, it was OK.  It wasn’t.

In Featured, Phillip Blanchard.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. tfrohl says:

    As a former reporter and now a person who helps PR people develop messaging and prepare for interviews, I must respectfully disagree. While there certainly are PR people who lie, I am convinced they are the minority. But that is how the profession gets the reputation. Kind of like the old joke that 99% of PR people give the other 1% a bad name. That just isn’t true. Most of the PR people I work with are ethical and honest. That was true during my 12 years in TV news. One of my favorite definitions of PR is "Truth well told." Unfortunately, PR people are often kept out of the loop and ultimately it appears that they lied when, in fact, it was the truth to the PR person, even if it ultimately turned out to be wrong. However, in most cases, to argue a PR person’s job is to lie is just not the case. Their credibility is important to them. In fact, I know of people who quit rather than lie for the company they worked for.

Leave a Comment

1) Register to join the community & comment or 2) Quick comment
Username: Username:
Email: Email:
Password:
Verify Password:
or 3) Login if you already have an account
Comment: