The free webinar, “Unlocking Financial Statements,” was originally held May 14-18, 2012.
Jimmy Gentry, award-winning professor at the University of Kansas, continues the popular, weeklong training with tips for analyzing corporate financial statements.
- Day One: Introduction to financial statements
- Day Two: The income statement
- Day Three: Balance sheets
- Day Four: Cash flows
- Day Five: Writing stories based on what you’ve learned
What You Will Learn:
- How to read and interpret income statements
- How to read and interpret balance sheets
- How to read and interpret cash-flow statements
- How to find stories in financial statements
This seminar will be led by James Gentry, a professor and former dean at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Kansas. He has presented workshops on understanding the numbers of business to thousands of journalists and corporate communicators.
Prior to joining KU, he was journalism dean at University of Nevada, Reno, and associate professor at the Missouri School of Journalism.
Take a look through the resources below. At your own pace, you can walk through the self-guided lesson on finding stories in financial statements.
Additional resources (PDF)
- Understanding Financial Statements Handout -- Updated with additional resources
- How to Do a Common-size Analysis
- Percentage Change Assignment 2012
- Financial Statements 2012 - Homework Assignment
- Percentage Change - Assignment Answers 2012
- Crocs 2008 Financial Statements
- Form 8-K Handout
- Crocs Statements 2011
- Kellogg Statements 2011
- Unlocking Financial Statements -- Chat Transcript
Jimmy Gentry received the Barry Sherman Teaching Award from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication in 2008. The award recognizes excellence and innovation in the teaching of media management and economics.