The free webinar, “Telling Great Stories,” was originally held on Aug. 13, 2012.
You’ll learn effective techniques to tell great stories from Diana B. Henriques, longtime financial writer for The New York Times and the author of the best-seller, “The Wizard of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust.”
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Gather the telling details while chasing the story.
- Deepen your story with universal characters from folklore and myths.
- Use techniques from screenwriting and potboilers to strengthen your writing.
Diana B. Henriques became a contributing writer to The New York Times in December 2011, after more than two decades at the paper.
As a senior financial writer at The Times, she specialized in investigative reporting on white-collar crime, market regulation and corporate governance. She turned her coverage of Bernie Madoff’s $65 billion Ponzi scheme into a best-selling book, “The Wizard of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust.”
She was a Pulitzer finalist in 2005 for exposing the exploitation of American soldiers by financial services companies. For that series, she also received the George Polk Award, Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting and the Worth Bingham Prize.
Check out the resources below. At your own pace, you can walk through the self-guided lesson on great storytelling tips and techniques.
- Telling Great Stories — Resources Handout
- Chat Transcript – Suggested Writers, Books and Archetypal Stories