The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism’s lineup of free training for journalists this spring and summer emphasizes investigative business journalism. But it also includes webinars on social media ROI, profile writing, the Affordable Care Act and M&A, as well as a paid workshop on data visualization.
Our instructors include seasoned journalists, such as Ron Nixon of The New York Times, and distinguished university faculty, including Pulitzer winner Jacqui Banaszynski, Knight Chair at the University of Missouri.
In addition to our live training, you can find help anytime at BusinessJournalism.org, where we provide free self-guided training, beat basics, SEC-data primers and daily coverage tips off the news. Here’s our calendar of live webinars and workshops for the next eight months:
REYNOLDS CENTER’S SPRING/SUMMER TRAINING SCHEDULE
Learn in just one hour a day with these free webinars:
- Perfecting Personality Profiles, Feb. 5-6, with Jacqui Banaszynski, Pulitzer winner and University of Missouri Knight Chair in Editing.
- Social Media ROI for Journalists, March 25, with Chad Graham, director of news content marketing at Republic Media.
- Investigating Stockbrokers and Financial Advisers, April 9, with University of Maryland lecturer Rob Wells.
- Investigating Government Contractors, April 22, with Ron Nixon of The New York Times.
- Shadow Money: Unraveling Political Nonprofits’ Funding, May 14, with Russ Choma of the Center for Responsive Politics’ OpenSecrets.org.
- Mergers & Acquisitions 101, June 3, with Amy Wu, former reporter for The Deal LLC.
- What’s Next in Covering the Affordable Care Act, Aug. 6, with CNNMoney senior writer Tami Luhby.
And don’t miss these free workshops:
Lexington, Ky.: Investigating the Business of Government, Jan. 23, with Herald-Leader reporter John Cheves.
- Baltimore: Detecting Corporate Fraud, Feb. 26, with Theo Francis of The Wall Street Journal and Roddy Boyd of the Southern Investigative Reporting Foundation.
- Phoenix: Detecting Corporate Fraud, March 27, with Francis and Boyd.
- San Francisco: Detecting Corporate Fraud, June 25. Stay tuned for details.
- Santa Clara, Calif.: Tracking Tribal Cash and Influence to Washington, July 10, with Russ Choma of the Center for Responsive Politics’ OpenSecrets.org.
Try our training at the SABEW Conference:
- Phoenix: Data Visualization: A Hands-On Primer for Business Journalists, March 28, with Dianne Finch of Elon University. Paid SABEW Conference registration required.
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
To suggest topics for training or host a workshop, please contact Executive Director Linda Austin at 602-496-9187. You can also sign up for biweekly updates on upcoming free training. Or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.