The New York Times, Reuters and The (Raleigh, N.C.) News & Observer each won multiple awards in the 2013 Gerald Loeb Awards for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism, which were named tonight.
In addition, all three winners of the Reynolds Center’s 2012 Barlett & Steele Awards for Investigative Business Journalism were also winners in the Loeb contest.
The Gerald Loeb Awards were established in 1957 by the late Gerald Loeb, a founding partner of E.F. Hutton. His intention was to encourage reporting on business and finance that would inform and protect the private investor and the general public. Winners in 14 categories were selected from among more than 400 entries.
2013 Loeb Award WINNERS
- Tom Bergin for “Corporate Taxation Series” (PDF) – Reuters
- Thomas Lee, David Phelps, Janet Moore, Paul McEnroe, Tony Kennedy, Patrick Kennedy and Eric Wieffering for “Best Buy CEO Resigns Under Cloud” (PDF) – Star Tribune
- Byron Harris, Billy Bryant, Jason Trahan and Mark Smith for “Denticaid: Medicaid Dental Abuse in Texas” – WFAA-TV.
- John Gapper for “John Gapper (Financial Times)” (PDF)– Financial Times
- Mike McGraw and Alan Bavley for “Beef’s Raw Edges” (PDF) – The Kansas City Star.
- Tom Giratikanon, Amanda Cox, Sergio Pecanha, Alicia Parlapiano, Jeremy White, Robert Gebeloff, Ford Fessenden, Archie Tse, Alan McLean, Shan Carter, Mike Bostock and Matthew Ericson for “Economy Interactives” (PDF) – The New York Times
- David Barboza and Sharon LaFraniere for “China’s Secret Fortunes” (PDF) – The New York Times
- David Barstow, Alejandra Xanic von Bertrab and Stephanie Clifford for “Wal-Mart Abroad” (PDF) – The New York Times. Barstow also won the Reynolds Center’s Barlett & Steele Gold Award for Investigative Business Journalism for the first story in this package. | How Barstow got the first story.
- Connie Bruck for “Cashier du Cinema” (PDF) – The New Yorker
- Robert Capps for “Why Things Fail” (PDF) – Wired Magazine
- Brian Grow, Anna Driver, Joshua Schneyer, Janet Roberts, Jeanine Prezioso, David Sheppard and John Shiffman for “Inside Chesapeake Energy” (PDF) – Reuters.
Newspapers – Large
- Patricia Callahan, Sam Roe and Michael Hawthorne for “Playing With Fire” – Chicago Tribune.
Newspapers – Small & Medium
- Ames Alexander, Karen Garloch, Joseph Neff and David Raynor for “Prognosis: Profits”(PDF) – The Charlotte Observer and The News & Observer. The series also won the Reynolds Center’s Barlett & Steele Bronze Award for Investigative Business Journalism.
- Mandy Locke and David Raynor for “Ghost Workers” (PDF) – The News & Observer.
- Alison Young and Peter Eisler for “Ghost Factories” – USA TODAY. The project also won the Reynolds Center’s Barlett & Steele Silver Award for Investigative Business Journalism.
- Jason Zweig for “The Intelligent Investor” (PDF) – The Wall Street Journal
In addition, John Huey, former editor-in-chief at Time Inc. received the 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award. Global enterprise editor at Reuters, Michael Williams, was awarded the 2013 Lawrence Minard Editor Award.
The winners received their awards tonight at the Capitale in New York City, where the Gerald Loeb Awards celebrated 40 years with UCLA Anderson School of Management.