Two Minute Tips

Tuesday's 2-Minute Tip

December 6, 2022
Photo by Pexels user Pixabay

The World Cup and equal pay days

The 2022 FIFA World Cup is moving on to the quarterfinals. Unfortunately the U.S. men’s team won’t be joining them this year – again. But there’s still plenty for the U.S. to celebrate. This year’s tournament is a big win for equal pay. Read on to see why.

Total prize money

Did you know that every team that plays in the 2022 World Cup takes home at least $9 million this year? That is just for the teams that didn’t make it out of the group knockout rounds. Each team that made it to the Round of 16 is guaranteed $13 million and the ones that made it through to the quarterfinals will be getting $17 million each.

All in all, the 32 teams who participated this year will receive some portion of $440 million, with the champions taking home $42 million in prize money. That is up from $400 million in 2018 and $358 million in 2014.

For a quick comparison, $30 million was split between the 24 qualifying women’s teams in the 2019 Women’s World Cup, with the champions receiving $4 million in prize money. This was up from the $2 million the winners received in 2015. The U.S. women’s soccer team took home the top prize both times.

Who gets the prize money?

A lot of fans assume that the prize money goes to the players. However, it is actually awarded to the country’s football federation, not the individual team or players. Therefore, each individual federation decides how the money will be awarded with some teams being more generous to their players than others. 

For example, NBC Sports reported that in 2018, the German team promised $400,000 to each player if they won the tournament, while the Spanish team promised $930,000 to each player for the same title. France, the winner that year, gave 30% of the total earnings to their players as a bonus, amounting to about $330,000 per player.

What does the World Cup have to do with equal pay?

This World Cup is the very first one held since U.S. Soccer signed an equal-pay agreement earlier this year. The agreement established that all World Cup earnings given to the team must be split evenly between the men’s and women’s teams. 

The men’s team earned $13 million for their participation through the Round of 16. After U.S. Soccer takes its 10% cut, the other 90% will be going to the two national teams. This means the U.S. women’s team will receive $5.85 million for the men’s participation in the World Cup. 

So the men’s players aren’t the only ones disappointed they didn’t advance to the next round. And next year when the women’s team goes on the 2023 World Cup in Australia/New Zealand, you better believe the men’s team will be cheering them on all along the way.

By:

More 2min Tips...

Woman Wearing Blue Top Beside Table

Interview checklist for journalists

Interviews with subject matter experts and “real people” give media coverage color and credibility. But if you only have 10 minutes with an expert, how can you make the most

Are You New Here?

Sign up now.
Get one Tuesday.

Every Tuesday we send out a quick-read email with tips for business journalism.

Subscribers also get access to the Tip archive.

Archive
Voluntourism

Even if you haven’t heard the term, you probably know about the

View All Tips  »

Get Two Minute Tips For Business Journalism Delivered To Your Email Every Tuesday

Two Minute Tips

Every Tuesday we send out a quick-read email with tips for business journalism. Sign up now and get one Tuesday.

Our New Look
The Reynolds Center for Business Journalism is starting 2023 with a new look that we hope better illustrates our core mission to provide accurate and authoritative resources about business journalism, in order to help both reporters and news consumers understand the importance of business news and to demystify the sometimes arcane topics it covers.
Businesses, markets, and economies move in cycles – ups and downs – which is why our new logo contains a “candlestick” chart representing increases as well as downturns, and serves as a reminder that volatility is an unavoidable attribute of modern life. But it’s also possible to prepare for volatility by being well informed, and informing the general public to help level the information playing field is the primary goal of business journalism. The Reynolds Center is committed to supporting that goal, which is why the candlestick pattern in our logo merges directly into the name of our founding sponsor, Donald W. Reynolds.
Our new logo comes with a shorter name. Business is borderless, and understanding the global links in supply chains, trade, and flows of funds and people is essential to make sense of our fast-paced, globalized world. So we’re dropping the word “National” from our name and will aim to provide content that is applicable to business news globally.
We hope you like the new look. Best wishes for 2023!